Friday, February 17, 2012

How to clean your brushes

The other day I was asked what I use to clean my brushes. After working on a client and especially more than one model I use 99% alcohol. I just pour some into a little spritzer bottle, spray the brushes and wipe them off on a towel. It clean's them good and fast. You don't want to be waiting around for your brushes to dry on a shoot. Then once I get home I wash my brushes with a baby shampoo and water to keep them soft. I use to use an actual brush cleaner and decided that I can just use products I already have at home that will clean the brushes just as well. I haven't noticed any difference in my brushes, they don't seem to be drier or any different in any way. 
If you do however want to spend the extra $ and get a brush cleaner here are some that I have used and loved

You can get this cinema secrets brush cleaner at Camera Ready Cosmetics

you can get the cover FX brush cleaner either at Sephora or at Cover FX


Here are 5 at home recipes for brush cleaner's you can make that are super easy! Found here

1. 1 cup of Warm Water
1 TBSP Liquid Dish Detergent


2. 1 cup of Warm Water
1 TBSP of Baby Shampoo


3. 1 cup of Warm Water
1 TBSP of Woolite 


4. 1 cup of Distilled Water
2 TBSP of Rubbing Alcohol
1 TBSP of Baby Shampoo


5. 1/2 cup of Warm Water
1/4 cup of Vinegar 

Even using a combination of Baking Soda and Baby Shampoo would work too. After cleaning brushes you want to hang them upside down or flat on a towel so that the liquid doesn't seep back into the base of the brush. Washing your brushes once a week (even if you're the only one using them) is the best way to avoid any bacteria, oil or dirt. It also helps keep the bristles clean and fluffy soft.

What are your favorite brush cleaners to use? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...